The Dortmund Airport, also known as Dortmund Airport 21, according to Dusseldorf and Cologne, the third largest commercial airport in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia and a major operational base of the Hungarian low cost carrier Wizz Air.
- URL: Dortmund (DTM)
- Time zone: GMT 1
- Service phone: +49 231 92 13 -01
- Address: Dortmund Airport, Flughafenring 11, Postfach 13 02 61, D-44319 Dortmund
- Operator: Flughafen Dortmund GmbH
- Parking spaces: yes, chargeable, approx. 5100 short-term and long-term parking spaces, the first 10 minutes in multi-storey car park P1 are free
- Nearby cities: Dortmund (11 km), Hagen (21 km), Witten (22 km), Hamm (22 km), Bochum (28 km), Herne (28 km), Recklinghausen (31 km), Gelsenkirchen-Alt (34 km), Wuppertal (41 km), Essen (42 km)
- Transport connections: Autobahn / Europastraße A44 / E331 and Bundesstraße B1
- Train connections: The nearest possible DB train station is in Holzwickede.
- Flight distribution on the days of the week: Monday (16.77%), Tuesday (14.31%), Wednesday (14.47%), Thursday (14.88%), Friday (16.35%), Saturday (11.95%), Sunday (11.27%)
- other spellings: Дортмунд, Ντόρτμουντ, Դորտմունդ, დორტმუნდი, דורטמונד, डॉर्टमुंड, ด อ ร์ ท มุ น ด์, دورتموند, دورتموند, ド ル ト ム ン ト, 도르트문트, 多特蒙德
Most popular destinations from Dortmund (flights per week)
- Katowice ( 22, 11.40%)
- Munich (20, 10.36%)
- Palma de Mallorca (15, 7.77%)
- Bucharest – Otopeni (11, 5.70%)
- Vienna (8, 4.15%)
- Sofia (8, 4.15%)
- Gdansk ( 8, 4.15%)
- London – Luton (7, 3.63%)
- Belgrade (6, 3.11%)
- Tuzla (6, 3.11%)
- other (42.47%)
Top airlines (share of take-offs / landings)
- Wizz Air(292, 66.36%)
- Eurowings(70, 15.91%)
- Lufthansa(40, 9.09%)
- easyJet(14, 3.18%)
- Air Canada(7, 1.59%)
- United Airlines(7, 1.59%)
- Sun Express(6, 1.36%)
- other (0.92%)
The airport, which went into operation in 1960, is located in the municipality of Holzwickede, approx. 12 kilometers east of Dortmund city center and approx. 5 kilometers west of the city of Unna. The best way to get to the airport is via the Autobahn / Europastraße A-44 / E331 and Bundesstraße 1.
The “AirportExpress” shuttle bus runs between the airport and the Dortmund central bus station every 60 minutes, the journey time is approx. 25 minutes. There is also an airport shuttle from the airport terminal to the nearby Holzwickede train station, from where there is a connection to the regional train, for example to Dortmund or Hamm. There is a regular bus connection from Dortmund with the 440 bus every day. Between Unna and the airport, the C41 bus runs every 60 minutes between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. on weekdays. You can find out all current departure times either directly on site or on the Internet.
The airport was originally located at a different location, namely in the Brackel district. Twelve planes took off and landed here every day from 1926 onwards. With the outbreak of the Second World War, civil aviation also ended in Brackel. In 1955, the Federal Republic of Germany regained air sovereignty. A new location was sought for civil aviation in 1960, as British missile units were stationed in Dortmund-Brackelt.
In 1971 Flughafen Dortmund GmbH became the owner and operator of the new location. The first scheduled flights were made in 1979 by RFG – Reise- und Industrieflug GmbH, later Eurowings AG, with the opening of the Dortmund – Munich routeset up. A newly built 850 m long runway (plus 100 m paved stopping areas each) with a width of 30 m is now called the Startbahn Ruhrgebiet and was opened in 1983. A few years later it was extended to 1050 meters and most recently in 2000 to the current length of 2000 meters.
Statistical historical weather data for Dortmund
|Maximum Temperature °C||Mean Temperature °C||Lowest Temperature °C|