The Cairo International Airport is the largest and most important airport in Egypt and the hub of the airlines Air Cairo, Alexandria Airlines AMC Airlines, AlMasria Airlines, Egypt Air, Egypt Air Express, Nesma Airlines and Nile Air.
With more than 60 different regularly operating airlines it is the second busiest on the entire African continent after the South African Johannesburg – Tambo International Airport and also an important hub for flight connections between Europe and the Middle East.
- URL: Cairo (CAI)
- Time zone: GMT 2
- Service phone: +20 226-55-000
- Address: Cairo International Airport, Oruba Road, Heliopolis, Cairo, Arab Republic of Egypt
- Operator: Cairo Airport Authority (CAA)
- Parking: Yes, subject to a charge, more than 7,600 short-term and long-term parking spaces at all three terminals.
- Nearby cities: Cairo (17 km), Qalyub (20 km), Giza (23 km), Al Ḩawāmidīyah (29 km), Bilbays (36 km), Banha (43 km), Az Zaqāzīq (53 km), Abu Kabir ( 72 km), Tanta (84 km), Mahalla al-Kubra (98 km)
- Transport connections: The airport is located on the northeastern outskirts of the city and is approx. 16 kilometers from the main train station (Midan Ramses) and approx. 18 kilometers from the Egyptian Museum (Midan Tahrir).
- Train connections: The main station is located at Midan Ramses, from there there are regular train connections to the north (e.g. Alexandria, Tanta or Ismailiya) and to the south (e.g. Luxor, Edfu or Aswan).
- Flight distribution on the days of the week: Monday (14.25%), Tuesday (14.30%), Wednesday (13.73%), Thursday (14.30%), Friday (14.50%), Saturday (14.48%), Sunday (14.43%)
- other spellings: Cairo Int’l, Kahire, Cairu, El Cairo, Al-Qahirah, Qahirə, Qaire, Káhira, Le Caire, Qahîre, Kairas (Egipte), Kaherah (Mesir), Caïro, Kair, Qahira, Qaahiro, Каир, Каір, Кайро, Әл-Қаһира, Қоҳира, Каһирә, Каїр, Κάιρο, القاهرة, القاهره, কায়রো, قاهره, ل, ي ال, கெய்ரோ, هره, 开罗ي و, კაირო, هرج, ة القاهرة
Most popular destinations from Cairo (flights per week)
- Jeddah – King Abdulaziz International(146, 8.86%)
- Riyadh – King Khaled International(102, 6.19%)
- Kuwait International(90, 5.46%)
- Hurghada International(85, 5.16%)
- Sharm El Sheikh(77, 4.67%)
- Amman – Queen Alia International(64, 3.88%)
- Abu Dhabi(56, 3.40%)
- Dammam(56, 3.40%)
- Dubai(53, 3.22%)
- Luxor(49, 2.97%)
- other (52.79%)
Top airlines (share of take-offs / landings)
- Egyptair(1427, 25.13%)
- Aegean Airlines(327, 5.76%)
- Saudi Arabian Airlines(290, 5.11%)
- TAP Air Portugal(207, 3.65%)
- Etihad Airways(178, 3.13%)
- Thai AirAsia(162, 2.85%)
- Nile Air(154, 2.71%)
- Ethiopian Airlines(112, 1.97%)
- Air Serbia(97, 1.71%)
- Flynas(97, 1.71%)
- other (46.27%)
The airport is located approx. 16 kilometers northeast of the city center on the edge of the Heliopolis district. The quickest way to get there is via Salah Salem Road.
There is a regular shuttle bus service between the airport (Terminal 1) and the city center, the buses run every 30 minutes and stop from north to south in the districts of Heliopolis, Nasr City, city center (Midan Ramses and Midan Tahrir), El Mohandeseen, El Maadi and Hellwan. It is also possible to travel to and from the airport by taxis, rental cars and limousines.
The expansion of Metro Line 3 to the airport is expected to be completed in 2019.
Historical weather data for Cairo
|Maximum Temperature °C||Mean Temperature °C||Lowest Temperature °C|