The Cologne-Bonn Airport – Konrad Adenauer, also known as Cologne-Wahn, is one of the five largest airports in the Federal Republic of Germany with a passenger volume of almost ten million annual passengers.
It serves the German airline Eurowings, Sunxepress, Tuifly and the low-cost carrier Ryanair as an important operational base and is the second most important in Germany in terms of annual cargo handling after Frankfurt Airport, which is particularly noticeable in the fact that the American cargo airline UPS Airlines operates its European hub in Cologne.
- URL: Cologne – Bonn (CGN)
- Time zone: GMT 1
- Service phone: +49 22 03 40-01/02
- Address: Cologne / Bonn Airport, Heinrich-Steinmann-Str. 12, Postfach 98 01 20, D-51147 Cologne
- Operator: Flughafen Köln / Bonn GmbH
- Parking spaces: yes, chargeable, approx. 12,500 short-term and long-term parking spaces
- Nearby cities: Bergisch Gladbach (13 km), Cologne (15 km), Bonn (15 km), Leverkusen (21 km), Remscheid (36 km), Solingen (36 km), Wuppertal (45 km), Düsseldorf (47 km ), Neuss (49 km), Hagen (58 km)
- Transport connections: Motorway A59 (exit airport), L84 road
- Train connections: S-Bahn line 13 as well as the ICE and RE trains regularly stop at the airport train station below Terminal 2.
- Flight distribution on the days of the week: Monday (15.22%), Tuesday (16.21%), Wednesday (16.08%), Thursday (14.96%), Friday (16.81%), Saturday (10.03%), Sunday (10.69%)
- other spellings: Bonn, Cologne (Koeln) -Bonn, Cologne (Koeln) -Bonn, Bonn, Köln-Wahn, Kölle, Keulen, Kelnas, Colonia, Kolín nad Rýnem, Κολωνία, Kolonia, Кёльн, Келн, Кьолн, Ķelne, Këlni, कोअन, קלן, โค โล ญ, Քյոլն, კელნი, کلن, کلون, كولونيا, ケ ル ン, 쾰른, 科隆, 古龍
Most popular destinations from Cologne – Bonn (flights per week)
- Munich(130, 12.85%)
- Antalya(70, 6.92%)
- Palma de Mallorca(55, 5.43%)
- Hamburg – Airport(47, 4.64%)
- Vienna(40, 3.95%)
- Istanbul Airport(32, 3.16%)
- Izmir – Adnan Menderes(31, 3.06%)
- Zurich – Kloten(30, 2.96%)
- Istanbul – Sabiha Gokcen(24, 2.37%)
- Lisbon(23, 2.27%)
- other (52.39%)
Top airlines (share of take-offs / landings)
- Eurowings(1056, 41.61%)
- Lufthansa(163, 6.42%)
- Sun Express(128, 5.04%)
- Pegasus Airlines(98, 3.86%)
- United Airlines(96, 3.78%)
- easyJet(92, 3.62%)
- TAP Air Portugal(82, 3.23%)
- Austrian Airlines(78, 3.07%)
- Air Canada(78, 3.07%)
- TUI fly(64, 2.52%)
- other (23.78%)
The airport, which opened in 1938, is located in the Wahner Heide, approx. 14 kilometers southeast of Cologne city center and approx. 22 kilometers northeast of Bonn city center, near the municipality of Troisdorf. Drivers can reach the airport either via the A-59 motorway and / or the L-84 highway.
The S-Bahn lines S13 and S19 run regularly between the main train station and the airport station, and the regional express line 8 and the ICE also stop at the airport. The Cologne city bus route 161 and the Bonn express bus route SB60 also stop at the airport.
After the end of the war, the two cities of Cologne and Bonn were granted a license to use the airport by the British Allies for an initial year.
After this license expired, civil traffic was dependent on the military use of the airport, which at times led to a restriction in civil air traffic. In October 1957, the airport site was finally handed over to operations management by the Royal Air Force. After the 3800 m long runway was completed, the first long-haul flight from Cologne / Bonn took place in 1961. The airport continued to expand until the 1970s.
The airport caused a sensation when a Boeing 747 landed with a spectacular cargo in 1987. Around 300,000 visitors watch the landing of the machine, on whose back NASA had mounted a space shuttle.
The volume of traffic increased over time, so that in the mid-1980s UPS and SAS set up their freight hubs in Cologne / Bonn. With the launch of the Cologne / Bonn – New York-Newark flight connection by Lufthansa in 1990, Cologne-Bonn Airport is well armed to deal with international flight connections. The airport has been growing steadily since the two low-cost airlines Eurowings and TUIfly started operating in 2002.
Statistical historical weather data for Cologne – Bonn
|Maximum Temperature °C||Mean Temperature °C||Lowest Temperature °C|