The Allgäu Airport, also known as the Airport Memmingen or Memmingerberg is a regional commercial airport in the Federal Republic of Germany and is located in the independent Bavarian town of Memmingen, which is located in the administrative region of Swabia. The city’s former military airfield was approved for civil aviation in 2004 and is now very important, as many charter flights to popular bathing destinations from Stuttgart and Munich are often fully booked during the seasonal holiday periods.
The two most important airlines with the most handled passengers are currently the low-cost airlines Ryanair and Wizzair, this also offers most of the European flight routes all year round.
- URL: Memmingen – Allgäu-Airport (FMM)
- Time zone: GMT 1
- Service phone: +49 8331 984 200-0
- Address: Allgäu Airport, Schleifweg, Am Flughafen 35, 87766 Memmingerberg, Germany
- Operator: Allgäu Airport GmbH & Co. KG
- Parking: Yes, chargeable, short-term and long-term parking spaces, parking in stop zone H, directly in front of the departure terminal, is free for 30 minutes.
- Nearby cities: Ulm (49 km), Augsburg (63 km), Reutlingen (94 km)
- Transport connections: Take the A96 motorway from Munich to Lindau to the “Memmingen-Ost” exit and from there follow the airport signs to the airport, which is around 3.3 kilometers away.
- Train connections: Take the Deutsche Bahn to Memmingen Hauptbahnhof and from there use either the 2/810/811 bus or a taxi.
- Flight distribution on the days of the week: Monday (16.20%), Tuesday (15.88%), Wednesday (13.91%), Thursday (11.13%), Friday (16.53%), Saturday (15.06%), Sunday (11.29%)
- other spellings: Flughafen Allgäu, Memmingerberg, Munich-West, Меммінген, Мемминген, メ ミ ン ゲ ン, 梅明 根
Most popular destinations from Memmingen – Allgäu-Airport (flights per week)
- Kiev – Zhulhany(6, 8.22%)
- Sibiu(6, 8.22%)
- Timisoara(5, 6.85%)
- Belgrade(4, 5.48%)
- Varna(4, 5.48%)
- Podgorica(4, 5.48%)
- Skopje(4, 5.48%)
- Suceava Salcea(4, 5.48%)
- Ohrid(3, 4.11%)
- Bucharest – Otopeni(3, 4.11%)
- other (41.09%)
Top airlines (share of take-offs / landings)
- Wizz Air(132, 90.41%)
- Corendon Airlines(6, 4.11%)
- People’s Viennaline(4, 2.74%)
- other (2.74%)
The airport is located approx. 3.5 kilometers east of the city center. The best way to get to the airport for passengers traveling by car from outside the city is via the motorway. Take the A96 (München-Lindau) to the “Memmingen-Ost” exit and from there follow the airport signs to the airport, which is around 3.3 kilometers away.
Passengers arriving by train can easily take the Deutsche Bahn to Memmingen main station and from there either take a taxi or take the bus from the central bus station to the airport, which is around 4.5 kilometers away. City bus line 2 and bus line 810/811 (Krumbach-Babenhausen-Memmingen) stop right at the terminal. You can find out the exact departure times either directly on site or via the Internet.
There are also transfer buses to and from the surrounding cities. In addition to this transfer service, there is also the option of using the Allgäu Airport Express bus. This connects the cities of Munich and Landsberg / Lech with the airport. The tickets can be purchased online or at the start of the journey.
Memmingen Airport has only recently been used as a civil airport. The Memmingerberg Air Base was established here in the 1930s. After the war until 1959, the US Air Force used the area for NATO training flights. In 1962 the Federal Air Force took over the airfield until 2001, when it was decided to close it in the future.
In the summer of 2002, the operating company Allgäu Airport GmbH was founded, which promoted the civil use of the airport. So the Air Force withdrew a year later and the airport was then opened. Flight operations were resumed in August 2004.