Frankfurt-Hahn Airport is a commercial airport in the Hunsrück, Rhineland-Palatinate. In addition to London-Stansted, it is an important German hub for the low-cost carrier Ryanair and is now also an important operational base for Wizz Air. In February 2009, the state of Rhineland-Palatinate took an 82.5% stake in the airport by handing Fraport AG a symbolic amount of one euro. The remaining shares are held by the State of Hesse.
- URL: Frankfurt-Hahn (HHN)
- Time zone: GMT 1
- Service phone: +49 6543 – 50 92 00
- Address: Flughafen Frankfurt-Hahn GmbH, Building 667, D-55483 Hahn Airport
- Operator: Flughafen Frankfurt-Hahn GmbH
- Parking: yes, chargeable, short and long-term parking, a free shuttle bus is offered between the parking areas and the airport.
- Nearby cities: Trier (50 km), Koblenz (51 km), Mainz (72 km), Wiesbaden (72 km), Saarbrücken (82 km), Bonn (88 km), Ludwigshafen (99 km), Darmstadt (100 km)
- Transport connections: Motorways A60, A61, federal highways B50, B327
- Train connections: The airport cannot be reached by train, the nearest DB train station is about 30 kilometers northwest in Bullay on the Moselle.
- Flight distribution on the days of the week: Monday (11.11%), Tuesday (25.93%), Wednesday (7.41%), Thursday (11.11%), Friday (11.11%), Saturday (25.93%), Sunday (7.41%)
- other spellings: Fráncfort-Hahn, Francoforte-Hahn, Hahn Airport, Франкфурт-Хан, 法蘭克福 哈恩, フ ラ ン ク フ ル ト ・ ハ ー ン 空港
Most popular destinations from Frankfurt-Hahn (flights per week)
- Lviv(3, 18.75%)
- Sibiu(3, 18.75%)
- Skopje(3, 18.75%)
- Tuzla(3, 18.75%)
- Cluj – Napoca(2, 12.50%)
- other (12.50%)
The airport, which was opened for civil scheduled air traffic in 1993, is not near the Hessian metropolis Frankfurt, as the misleading name suggests, but more than 120 kilometers west in the Hunsrück. Thanks to its very central location and relatively good transport links from all directions, it is easy to reach for drivers despite the lack of a direct train connection. The airport is located approx. 70 kilometers northeast of Trier, approx. 90 kilometers southwest of Koblenz, approx. 100 kilometers west of Mainz, approx. 140 kilometers northwest of Mannheim and approx. 120 kilometers northeast of Saarbrücken. The airport can be reached via the federal highways B50 and B327.
A regular shuttle bus service is offered between the airport and numerous nearby cities, e.g. from Cologne, Koblenz, Frankfurt, Hanau, Darmstadt, Heidelberg, Simmern, Kirn, Trier, Saarbrücken, Luxembourg or Cochem.
The nearest possible train station is about 30 kilometers northwest in Bullay on the Moselle.
Frankfurt Hahn is a young airport that was built in 1947 by the French occupying forces. Some time later, the US Air Force took it over. Until the 1990s it was used exclusively for military purposes. In 1990 the Air Force handed the airport over to civilian administration. The first civil flight took place in 1993 and was a charter flight to Mallorca.
One of the expansion plans at Hahn Airport was the extension of the runway to 3,800 m to the west in order to make it suitable for long-haul cargo planes. However, since the protected pug bat was found in the cleared area, the nature conservation association NABU took legal action against the expansion. However, this lawsuit was withdrawn in 2005 when the operating company agreed to take additional nature conservation measures. For example, 20 hectares of forest were not used for forestry purposes in order to leave the vital quarters untouched.
Statistical historical weather data for Frankfurt-Hahn
|Maximum Temperature °C||Mean Temperature °C||Lowest Temperature °C|