In terms of annual traffic volume, Dresden International Airport is the largest commercial airport in the five new federal states, as its catchment area extends far beyond Dresden and also includes Chemnitz, the south of Brandenburg and the several municipalities in the Czech Republic and Poland.
- URL: Dresden International (DRS)
- Time zone: GMT 1
- Service phone: +49 351 881-0
- Address: Dresden Airport, Flughafenstrasse, Postfach 80 01 64, D-01101 Dresden
- Operator: Flughafen Dresden GmbH
- Parking spaces: yes, subject to a charge; approx. 3000 short-term and long-term parking spaces
- Nearby cities: Dresden (9 km), Chemnitz (68 km)
- Transport connections: Motorways A4 and A13, federal road B97
- Train connections: The S-Bahn line S2 connects the airport with Neustädter Bahnhof (approx. 13 min.) And the main train station (approx. 22 min.)
- Flight distribution on the days of the week: Monday (14.66%), Tuesday (14.46%), Wednesday (15.02%), Thursday (15.37%), Friday (15.48%), Saturday (13.00%), Sunday (12.02%)
- other spellings: Dresde, Dresda, Drážďany, Drezno, Drježdźany, Drezden, Drezda, Dresdn, Дрэздэн, Δρέσδη, Дрезден, درسدن, دريسدن, דרזדן, Դրեզդեն, დრეზდენი, デ รส เดิน,
Most popular destinations from Dresden International (flights per week)
- Frankfurt-Main(40, 22.35%)
- Munich(33, 18.44%)
- Düsseldorf(22, 12.29%)
- Palma de Mallorca(15, 8.38%)
- Cologne – Bonn(14, 7.82%)
- Stuttgart(14, 7.82%)
- Zurich – Kloten(14, 7.82%)
- Amsterdam – Schiphol(8, 4.47%)
- Moscow – Sheremetyevo(8, 4.47%)
- Euroairport – Basel(5, 2.79%)
- other (3.35%)
Top airlines (share of take-offs / landings)
- Lufthansa(108, 10.98%)
- Eurowings(108, 10.98%)
- TAP Air Portugal(99, 10.06%)
- United Airlines(87, 8.84%)
- Air Canada(74, 7.52%)
- Aegean Airlines(74, 7.52%)
- ANA All Nippon Airways(63, 6.40%)
- Air China(48, 4.88%)
- Singapore Airlines(43, 4.37%)
- South African Airways(32, 3.25%)
- other (25.2%)
The airport, which opened in 1935, is located approximately 11 kilometers northeast of Dresden city center, near the Klotzsche district.
The best way to get to it by car is via the signposted A4 / A13 autobahn or federal highway 97. The public bus lines 77 and 80, as well as S-Bahn line 2, run every 30 minutes between the airport and Dresden city center .
The first person to take off in Dresden was Frau Wilhelmine Reichard with a balloon in September 1811. However, it took another 100 years before the first flight in an airplane. When the old space was no longer sufficient due to the volume of traffic, Dresden Airport was opened in Klotzsche in 1935.
Due to the Second World War, however, the actual civil use did not begin until after 1955. Until 1960 there were insufficient facilities for passenger handling at the airport, and so this took place unceremoniously near Dresden Central Station. The handled passengers were taken from there by buses to the tarmac directly to the waiting machines.
In 1980 the GDR domestic air traffic was discontinued due to unprofitability, so that only the holiday destinations in Eastern and Southeastern Europe were flown from Dresden. The plans to turn Dresden into a center of the GDR’s aircraft industry had already been abandoned 20 years earlier. However, this did not mean that Dresden sank into an insignificant provincial airport, rather it was suitable, in addition to civil and military use, as an aircraft yard, where the aircraft were brought for maintenance.
In the 1980s, Dresden Airport was owned by the National People’s Army, which renewed the runway. Interflug, an airline that no longer exists since the fall of the Wall, restored the airport building and the handling facility. The reopening after the renovation work took place exactly at the time of the political change.
After the fall of the Berlin Wall, domestic flights were added to the flight plan again. In the following years, the newly founded Flughafen Dresden GmbH took care of the expansion and construction of the handling facilities and access roads.
Statistical historical weather data for Dresden International
|Maximum Temperature °C||Mean Temperature °C||Lowest Temperature °C|