Singapore, Southeast Asian State; 719 km2, 5.6 million residents (2019).Singapore, which is separated from the Malacca Peninsula by the Johores Strait, consists of Singapore Island (just over 590 km 2 ) and some 50 small islands. The Republic consists of a single metropolitan area, the center of which is on the south coast of Singapore.
- Republic of Singapore / Republic of Singapore
- Country abbreviation: SG
- Area: 719 km2
- Population (2019): 5.6 million residents
- Capital: Singapore
- Main languages: English, Chinese, Malay, Tamil
- State: Republic
- Head of State: Halimah Yacob (President)
- Head of Government: Lee Hsien Loong
- Per capita GDP (2018): US $ 64,582
- GNI per capita (2018): US $ 58,770
- Currency unit: 1 Singaporean dollar = 100 cents
- Currency code: SGD
- Country number (telephony): 65
- Internet domain name: sg
- Time difference compared to Sweden: +7
- National Day: August 9 (Independence Day, 1965)
- Population density (2019): 7,788 residents per km2
- Natural population growth (2019): 0.4%; birth number 9 ‰, death number 5 ‰
- Age structure (2019): 0-14 years (15%), 15-64 (71%), 65- (14%)
- Average life expectancy (2019): men 81 years, women 85 years
- Infant mortality (2019): 2 per 1,000 live births
- Population forecast 2050: 6 million residents
- HDI (2017): 0.932 (place 9 of 189)
- Urbanization rate (2017): 100%
- Industry’s contribution to GDP (2017): agriculture (0%), industry (25%), service (75%)
- Exports (2017): US $ 396,800 million
- Main export products: computers, pharmaceuticals
- Main exporting countries: China, Hong Kong, Malaysia
- Imports (2017): US $ 312 100 million
- Main import products: machinery, fuel, chemicals
- Main importing countries: China, Malaysia, USA
Singapore is flat and largely built. The heavy rains make floods common.
The country became an independent republic in 1965 and a member of the Commonwealth. Parliament consists of a chamber of elected members, elected for five years. The president is elected for six years. The executive power lies with the government, led by the prime minister.
Of all the countries in the world with more than one million residents, Singapore is the country with the highest population density by far. Since independence, the number of residents has multiplied and at the same time the area of the country has increased by 23 per cent through embankments along the coast.
Singapore lacks groundwater and almost all natural resources. Foreign trade is essential for the country’s economy. The development has been promoted by a favorable location, a very good port, a well-educated population, political stability and long experience as an international center for trade and transport.
This has provided a competitive and mainly export-oriented industry and a well-developed infrastructure, which attracts foreign investors. The country has also become Southeast Asia’s leading financial center and Singapore is one of the countries in the world where the economic prosperity of its citizens is highest.