In order to enter Ecuador, certain goods are subject to specific controls and, regardless of their value and quantity, they require the consent of Ecuador government, preferably, license must be obtained prior to passage through the customs, preventing the goods from being retained. On this page, you will see what kinds of items are prohibited from entering the Ecuador, and which items need special documentation before exporting to Ecuador.
Senders should determine import restrictions from Ecuador authorities before posting:
- Animals and animal products
- Anti-parasite products for agricultural use
- Cigarette papers
- Chemicals, non-hazardous
- Drugs; perscription, non perscriton and medicines
- Firearms and firearm parts
- Plants and plant products
- Personal effects
- Soil samples
- Subs cont’g sodium/calc.cyclamate
- War Material
Ecuador requires an import permit for all commercial goods. Ecuador confiscates commercial goods unless the addressee holds an import licence.
EDN’s and export permits are required for:
- Kangaroo skins
- Crocodile skins
- Emu oil
- Fish oil
- Bunker oil
- Petroleum bases products
- Tobacco and tobacco products
- Any other alcohol including beer and spirits all volumes.
Ecuador Post no longer accept ordinary mail items containing pension cheques or credit cards issued by banks, since items of this kind can be received by persons other than the proper addressee. Such items should therefore be sent by registered mail or EMS. Otherwise, the designated operator of Ecuador declines all liability for the wrongful or illegal use of these enclosures.
The sender and receiver details must be addressed with a valid street address in English. A Post Office Box address is not acceptable.
The sender is responsible for finding if the destination country may impose duties, taxes, brokerage fees or any other fees that may be applied on the item that is being sent. Please contact the consulate office of the country you are sending to or contact the ECI customer contact centre on 1800 007 678.
Articles containing vegetable components in any form require a Health Certificate.
Goods which are 4kg or less in weight or have declared value of up to US$400 do not pay custom tariffs. The merchandise can be new or used and should be for non-commercial use only for the person whom the package is addressed.
A tax of 0.5% on the (Cost, Insurance or Freight) value will be charged for the Fund for the Development of Children.
In addition to items prohibited by Dangerous and Prohibited Goods & Packaging Post Guide and ECI International Courier Regulations, Ecuador prohibits:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Animals and animal products
- Advertising containing reproductions of currency
- Baby feeders with tubes
- Dangerous goods, haz. or comb. Mats
- Fruit, seeds and grains
- Gaming items
- Immoral or obscene material
- Inorganic chemicals or organic compounds of precious metals
- Jewellery, precious stones and metals
- Mineral fuels, oils and products of their distillation
- Ordinary mail items containing pension cheques or credit cards issued by banks
- Printed books, newspapers, pictures and other products of the printing industry- offensive by nature
- Pearls, natural or cultures
- Perishable substances or foodstuffs
- Pharmaceutical and medical products of unknown composition
- Postage stamps
- Straw hats
- Works of art, collectors pieces and antiques
- Wadding, felt and non-woven’s