In order to enter Panama, certain goods are subject to specific controls and, regardless of their value and quantity, they require the consent of Panama government, preferably, license must be obtained prior to passage through the customs, preventing the goods from being retained. On this page, you will see what kinds of items are prohibited from entering the Panama, and which items need special documentation before exporting to Panama.
Panama requires an import licence for many goods. Before posting any item, senders should confirm that the addressee has any necessary permit. Senders should determine import restrictions from Panama Republic authorities before posting:
- Alcohol and spirits
- Animals and animal products/skins
- Coffee and coffee samples
- Cologne and perfume
- Communications equipment
- Compact disc
- Cotton Seed
- Drugs: prescription and non-prescription
- Grain Sample
- Parts, machine and electric
- Foodstuffs (prepared)
- Pharmaceutical products
- Plants and plant products
- Plastic and rubber products
- Samples, textile
- Telecommunications equipment
- Wood and wood products
EDN’s and export permits are required for:
- Kangaroo skins
- Crocodile skins
- Emu oil
- Fish oil
- Bunker oil
- Petroleum bases products
- Tobacco and tobacco products
- Any other alcohol including beer and spirits all volumes.
Special documentation requirements
Commercial goods require an invoice posted separately to the Panama Republic authorities.
The sender and receiver details must be addressed with a valid street address in English. A Post Office Box address is not acceptable.
The sender is responsible for finding if the destination country may impose duties, taxes, brokerage fees or any other fees that may be applied on the item that is being sent. Please contact the consulate office of the country you are sending to or contact the ECI customer contact centre on 1800 007 678.
In addition to items prohibited by Dangerous and Prohibited Goods & Packaging Post Guide and ECI International Courier Regulations, Panama Republic prohibits:
- Animals and animal products
- Arms and ammunition
- Articles of glass, stone, plaster and cement
- Dangerous goods, haz. or comb. materials
- Gambling devices
- Lottery tickets and advertising
- Mineral products
- Pharmaceutical products
- Products of chemical or allied industries
- Plastics and articles thereof
- Pearls, precious stones and metals
- Prepared foodstuffs
- Publications prejudicial to political, social and moral order
- Tea, coffee and spices
- Wood and articles of wood
- Vegetables, fruit and nuts.