Italy Import Restrictions
In order to enter Italy, certain goods are subject to specific controls and, regardless of their value and quantity, they require the consent of Italy government, preferably, license must be obtained prior to passage through the customs, preventing the goods from being retained. On this page, you will see what kinds of items are prohibited from entering the Italy, and which items need special documentation before exporting to Italy.
Senders should determine import restrictions from Italian authorities before posting:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Animal products
- Chemicals, non-hazardous
- Coffee and coffee samples
- Cologne and perfume
- Dangerous goods, haz or comb materials
- Drugs; prescription and non-prescription
- Fabrics and fabric samples
- Leather goods
- Medical Samples
- Medical/dental supplies and equipment
- Oil products
- Personal effects
- Plants and plant products
- Radio equipment
- Ship spares
- Televisions, television equipment
- Works of Art
- Wood products
EDN’s and export permits are required for:
- Kangaroo skins
- Crocodile skins
- Emu oil
- Fish oil
- Bunker oil
- Petroleum bases products
- Tobacco and tobacco products
- Any other alcohol including beer and spirits all volumes.
Special documentation requirements
Italy requires an import permit for many goods. Before posting any item, senders should confirm that the addressee has any necessary permit. Commercial goods require an invoice and a Certificate of Origin.
The sender and receiver details must be addressed with a valid street address in English. A Post Office Box address is not acceptable.
The sender is responsible for finding if the destination country may impose duties, taxes, brokerage fees or any other fees that may be applied on the item that is being sent. Please contact the consulate office of the country you are sending to or contact the ECI customer contact centre on 1800 007 678.
Please note the following:
- If the value of the contents is up to USD $34.50, no duty will be levied
- Value of goods cannot be understated and must be indicated for customs purposes only
- If value over 25000 EUR, written confirmation required
- Senders must include phone number and one return address.
- Samples must be sent with typewritten invoice with detailed description of contents itemized by number of units, country of origin and, if textiles and shoes, fibre contents.
In addition to items prohibited by Dangerous and Prohibited Goods & Packaging Post Guide and ECI International Courier Regulations.
- Airline tickets, blank stock
- Bearer Share Certificates, Bonds, Uncashed Travellers Cheques, Open Tickets (lottery, football match, theatre
- Cheques, blank
- Fossilized animals
- Hunting trophies
- Precious metals and stones
- Tobacco substitutes.
Transporting food of any kind is prohibited under ECI Platinum.