India Import Restrictions
In order to enter India, certain goods are subject to specific controls and, regardless of their value and quantity, they require the consent of India government, preferably, license must be obtained prior to passage through the customs, preventing the goods from being retained. On this page, you will see what kinds of items are prohibited from entering the India, and which items need special documentation before exporting to India.
Senders should determine import restrictions from Indian authorities before posting:
- Alcohol, wine
- Arms and ammunition
- Cinefilms, non-inflammable
- Computer systems
- Consumer electronic goods
- Chemicals and allied items
- Drugs and pharmaceuticals
- Drawing and mathematical equipment
- Films and videos
- Fountain pens and parts
- Gold and silver
- Insecticides and pesticides
- Pencils, lead or propelling
- Plants, fruit and seeds
- Precious stones and synthetic stones or gems
- Radio and wireless apparatus
- Silk and objects made of silk
- Sports goods and equipment
- Tobacco, cigars and cigarettes
- Watches and watch parts
Perishable articles and edible substances
Send perishable articles and edible substances by Air Mail.
India admits gift packages up to 100 rupees without an import permit.
India calculates customs duty on all items. Books and magazines are duty-free.
Special documentation requirements
India requires an import permit for all commercial goods. Before posting any item, senders should confirm that the addressee has any necessary permit.
The customs declaration for all commercial goods must state that an invoice in duplicate and a Certificate of Origin are enclosed.
In addition to items prohibited by Dangerous and Prohibited Goods & Packaging Post Guide and ECI International Courier Regulations, India prohibits:
- Animals, live
- Animal and vegetable fats and oils
- Albuminoidal substances; modified starches; glues; enzymes
- China made products
- Items contrary to the political, social or moral order of the State
- Lac, gums and resins
- Lottery tickets and circulars
- Modified starches, glues, enzymes
- Pesticides, weedicide and the like.
Transporting food of any kind is prohibited under ECI Platinum.