Countries in Micronesia
Micronesia is a region of the western Pacific Ocean located between the Philippines to the west, Indonesia to the southwest, New Guinea and Melanesia to the south and Polynesia to the southeast and east. It consists of hundreds of small islands grouped in several archipelagos and divided by seven territories:
- The Marianas Islands, divided between the Northern Mariana Islands and The territory of Guam;
- The Carolinas Islands which group the Federated states of Micronesia and The Republic of Palau;
- The Republic of the Marshall Islands, a group of of atolls;
- The Republic of Nauru, high atoll, isolated to the south of the previous group and
- The Republic of Kiribati which, in turn, groups several groups of islands.
Many of these islands were successively occupied by the Spaniards the British the Germans and the Japanese. With the defeat of these in the Second World War, the first four territories Formed The Protectorate of the United Nations Pacific Islands, Administered by the United States. All the peoples of Micronesia speak Austronesian languages, including the Chamorro language of the Marianas, which has about 70% of Spanish words words. It has approximately 707,000 km².
How Many Countries in Micronesia
As mentioned above, Micronesia is not a continent, but a subregion of Oceania, composed of thousands of small islands in the western Pacific Ocean. Politically, Micronesia is composed of 5 independent countries (Federated States of Micronesia, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Palau) and 3 territories (Guam, Northern Mariana Islands and Norfolk Island). See below for some of Micronesia countries and dependencies. Also, you can find all of them in alphabetical order at this end of this page.
- Kiribati, officially the Republic of Kiribati, is an island nation located in the central tropical Pacific Ocean. The islands in the three constituent archipelagos – the Gilbert Islands, the Phoenix Islands and the Linje Islands – are all low coral islands.
- Palau, officially the Republic of Palau, is an island state in the Pacific Ocean, 800 km east of the Philippines and 3,200 km south of Tokyo.
List of Countries in Micronesia and Their Capitals
Among the five independent countries in Micronesia region of Oceania, the largest country is Kiribati and the smallest is Nauru. The full list of countries in Micronesia with capitals is shown in the table below, ranked by latest total population.
|Rank||Independent Country||Current Population||Capital|
|2||Federated States of Micronesia||103,000||Palikir|
Map of Countries in Micronesia
Alphabetical List of Countries and Dependencies in Micronesia
In summary, there are a total of 8 independent countries and dependent territories in Micronesia. See the following for full list of Micronesia countries and dependencies in alphabetical order: