Capital Cities in Oceania
Oceania is the smallest of the continents in both area and population (if we do not count with Antarctica).
List of Oceanic capitals (Alphabetically sorted by country)
- Australia – Canberra
- Fiji – Suva
- Kiribati – South Tarawa
- Marshall Islands – Majuro
- Micronesia Federation – Palikir
- Nauru – Yaren
- New Zealand – Wellington
Did you know? Wellington is the world’s southernmost capital. By the way, there are no other capitals at a distance from the nearest capital (Canberra in Australia as the closest “capital city neighbor” is 2326 km away). As a fun fact, it can also be mentioned that Wellington is also the capital of the world where it blows most.
- Palau – Melekeok
- Papua New Guinea – Port Moresby
- Solomon Islands – Honiara
- Samoa – Apia
- Tonga – Nuku’alofa
- Tuvalu – Funafuti
- Vanuatu – Port Vila
4 Facts about Oceania (which you may not know)
- Australia is by far Oceania’s largest country, both in terms of population and area.
- In addition to Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea, the continent includes of more than 25,000 volcanic and coral islands scattered throughout the Pacific Ocean.
- Mount Wilhelm (4509 masl) in Papua New Guinea is the highest mountain.
- Australia is the driest continent on the globe (Africa is the second driest). By the way, do you know the difference between a continent and a continent? How can e.g. Australia being both continent and one of the countries of a continent (Oceania)?