Oceania is the smallest of the continents in both area and population (if we do not count with Antarctica).
List of Oceanic capitals (Alphabetically sorted by country)
- Australia – Canberra
- Fiji – Suva
- Kiribati – South Tarawa
- Marshall Islands – Majuro
- Micronesia Federation – Palikir
- Nauru – Yaren
- New Zealand – Wellington
Did you know? Wellington is the world’s southernmost capital. By the way, there are no other capitals at a distance from the nearest capital (Canberra in Australia as the closest “capital city neighbor” is 2326 km away). As a fun fact, it can also be mentioned that Wellington is also the capital of the world where it blows most.
- Palau – Melekeok
- Papua New Guinea – Port Moresby
- Solomon Islands – Honiara
- Samoa – Apia
- Tonga – Nuku’alofa
- Tuvalu – Funafuti
- Vanuatu – Port Vila
4 Facts about Oceania (which you may not know)
- Australia is by far Oceania’s largest country, both in terms of population and area.
- In addition to Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea, the continent includes of more than 25,000 volcanic and coral islands scattered throughout the Pacific Ocean.
- Mount Wilhelm (4509 masl) in Papua New Guinea is the highest mountain.
- Australia is the driest continent on the globe (Africa is the second driest). By the way, do you know the difference between a continent and a continent? How can e.g. Australia being both continent and one of the countries of a continent (Oceania)?