United Kingdom Import Restrictions
In order to enter United Kingdom, certain goods are subject to specific controls and, regardless of their value and quantity, they require the consent of United Kingdom government, preferably, license must be obtained prior to passage through the customs, preventing the goods from being retained. On this page, you will see what kinds of items are prohibited from entering the United Kingdom, and which items need special documentation before exporting to United Kingdom.
Senders should determine import restrictions from United Kingdom authorities before posting:
- Animals and animal products
- Pharmaceutical products
- Plants and plant products
- Radio transmitters
- Tobacco and tobacco products
Special documentation requirements
Articles exceeding £2,000 in value require an invoice.
UK Postal authorities advise that for best delivery results packets and parcels being sent to a PO box address should also include a street address.
If a PO box is the only address known, then a (recipient) contact telephone number should be given to assist delivery.
While spacing on the packet or parcel might be questioned with having to provide extra information, there should be room at least to include a telephone number
Use of a PO box address (only) may delay delivery because of the need to ascertain delivery details.
In addition to items prohibited by Dangerous and Prohibited Goods & Packaging Post Guide and ECI International Courier Regulations, United Kingdom prohibits:
- Animals and animal product
- Apparel and clothing accessories
- Arms and ammunition
- Clothes and rags, soiled
- Electrical machinery
- Flick knives
- Horror comics
- Ink and toner cartridges heavier than 500g (17.5 oz) sent by air
- Inorganic chemicals
- Lottery tickets and advertising
- Mineral products
- Printed articles; books and newspapers
- Prison-made goods
- Pearls, jewellery, precious stones and metals
- Salt, sulphur
- Tools, implements, cutlery
- Vegetables and vegetable products
- Videos, sound recordings and printed matter, indecent
- Wool and animal hair.
Transporting food of any kind is prohibited under ECI Platinum.