What is the Capital of Falkland Islands? Stanley
Stanley was formerly called Port Stanley and is the capital of the British archipelago of the Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic. South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, which have no permanent residence, are also administered by Stanley. The city is located on the northeastern part of the island of Eastern Falkland and was founded in 1843. It became the administrative center of the archipelago in 1845, and has about 2,115 residents (2006).
Early on, a port was built, which originally specialized in ship repair and bunkering. Before the construction of the Panama Canal, ships were forced to take the route around South America. Later, the focus was on whale and seal hunting. One of the oldest buildings is the governor’s residence, Government House, built in 1845.
Today the city has schools, hospitals, a supermarket, a library and many shops for tourists. Since the Falkland Islands have no municipal division, there is also no special local administration. The municipal issues are directly under the archipelago’s government. During the years 1947-1973, however, there was a special Stanley Town Council. An overview plan for the city’s future development, the Stanley Town Plan, was established in 2004.