Germany Import Restrictions
In order to enter Germany, certain goods are subject to specific controls and, regardless of their value and quantity, they require the consent of Germany government, preferably, license must be obtained prior to passage through the customs, preventing the goods from being retained. On this page, you will see what kinds of items are prohibited from entering the Germany, and which items need special documentation before exporting to Germany.
Senders should determine import restrictions from German authorities before posting:
- Animal products
- Beer, wine and spirits
- Chemical or allied industries products
- Coins and medals
- Hides and skins, raw
- Mineral products
- Plants and parts of plants
- Preparations for the production of beer
- Paper and paper-board
- Pharmaceutical products
- Vegetable products
- War materials
Articles proved as private gifts are generally exempt from duty.
Where required, senders must attach unsealed Certificates of Origin or Phytosanitary Certificates to the customs declaration. Goods delivered against payment must contain an invoice in duplicate.
German postcodes always precede the name of the city or locality (for example, 22767 HAMBURG). Use of this address format expedites mail processing within Germany.
In addition to items prohibited by Dangerous and Prohibited Goods & Packaging Post Guide and ECI and EPI – Parcel Regulations, Germany prohibits:
- Animals and animal products
- Arms and ammunition, including toys
- Alcoholic beverages
- Base metals
- Coins and medals
- Dairy produce, birds eggs, natural honey
- Dry vine wood
- Electrical machinery and equipment and parts thereof
- Imitation and pirated products
- Inorganic and organic chemicals
- Lac, gums, resins and other vegetable saps
- Liquids with above 82% alcohol
- Listening devices
- Methyl alcohol
- Natural or cultured pearls
- Precious or semi-precious stones
- Printed matter, videos & sound recordings of an offensive nature
- Salt, sulphur, earth and stone
- Small arms
- Some mineral products
- Toys, games and sports requisites
- Wood and articles of wood
- Video games.
Transporting food of any kind is prohibited under ECI Platinum.