Zambia Import Restrictions
In order to enter Zambia, certain goods are subject to specific controls and, regardless of their value and quantity, they require the consent of Zambia government, preferably, license must be obtained prior to passage through the customs, preventing the goods from being retained. On this page, you will see what kinds of items are prohibited from entering the Zambia, and which items need special documentation before exporting to Zambia.
Senders should determine import restrictions from Zambian authorities before posting:
- Animals and animal products
- Drugs: prescription and non-prescription
- Firearms and firearm parts
- Military equipment
- Plants and parts of plants
- Radar equipment: transmitters/receivers
- Tobacco, raw
- Weapons and parts of weapons
EDN’s and export permits are required for:
- Kangaroo skins
- Crocodile skins
- Emu oil
- Fish oil
- Bunker oil
- Petroleum bases products
- Tobacco and tobacco products
- Any other alcohol including beer and spirits all volumes.
Special documentation requirements
Commercial goods require an inserted invoice and the article labelled invoice enclosed.
Senders should post a Certificate of Origin, where required, separately to the addressee.
The sender and receiver details must be addressed with a valid street address in English. A Post Office Box address is not acceptable.
The sender is responsible for finding if the destination country may impose duties, taxes, brokerage fees or any other fees that may be applied on the item that is being sent. Please contact the consulate office of the country you are sending to or contact the ECI customer contact centre on 1800 007 678.
In addition to items prohibited by Dangerous and Prohibited Goods & Packaging Post Guide and ECI International Courier Regulations, Zambia prohibits:
- Aphrodisiacs and literature relating thereto
- Bullion and currency
- Bank notes, travellers cheques and other securities
- Cash letters
- Credit card blanks
- Dangerous goods, haz or com materials
- Firearms, and parts thereof
- Gambling devices
- Liquids, non-hazardous
- Lottery tickets and advertising
- Precious metals and stones
- Prison-made goods
- Spirits, preparations of, or essences and extracts of
- Weapons and parts thereof.