Taiwan Import Restrictions
In order to enter Taiwan, certain goods are subject to specific controls and, regardless of their value and quantity, they require the consent of Taiwan government, preferably, license must be obtained prior to passage through the customs, preventing the goods from being retained. On this page, you will see what kinds of items are prohibited from entering the Taiwan, and which items need special documentation before exporting to Taiwan.
Taiwan requires an import permit for many goods including all commercial items. Before posting any item, senders should confirm that the addressee has any necessary permit.
The following articles are exempted from import declaration:
- Shipments by mail which do not exceed US $5,000 or its equivalent in FOB value.
- Import Permits shall be waived for import made by foreign embassies, international organizations, and foreign institutes in Taiwan, if duty-free certificates issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are provided.
- Import Permits shall be waived for postal items, which are not on the Import Restriction List, within US $20,000 in value.
- Postal items subject to Import Restriction List may, at Customs’ discretion, be exempt from Import Permit and released after paying taxes, provided they are in small amount and for personal use or for gifts only.
- FOB value means Free on Board value listed on the documents provided by the consignee or appraised by the Customs. If FOB value is unavailable, then 70% of the customs value appraised by the Customs will apply.
Required for cigarettes over 1,000 sticks, cigars over 125 sticks, cut tobacco over 5 pounds or liquor over 5 litres.
Special documentation requirements
All mail should show Taiwan as the last part of the address.
In addition to items prohibited by Dangerous and Prohibited Goods & Packaging Post Guide and ECI International Courier Regulations, Taiwan prohibits:
- Animal products
- Beverages, non-alcoholic
- Coin collectors items
- Cosmetics, medicated
- Food in capsule or tablet form
- Firearms and ammunition
- Gambling items
- Lottery tickets and advertising
- Mainland China goods
- Medical devices
- Ornamentals, made of glass or mother-of-pearl
- Plants and plant products
- Radioactive materials
- Radio apparatus
- Saccharine and similar substances
- Tobacco and tobacco products
- Tea, concentrates, essences and extracts of
- Video tapes with programs and films
Transporting food of any kind is prohibited under ECI Platinum.