In order to enter Latvia, certain goods are subject to specific controls and, regardless of their value and quantity, they require the consent of Latvia government, preferably, license must be obtained prior to passage through the customs, preventing the goods from being retained. On this page, you will see what kinds of items are prohibited from entering the Latvia, and which items need special documentation before exporting to Latvia.
Senders should determine import restrictions from Latvian authorities before posting:
- Animal products
- Plants and plant products.
- Pharmaceutical products
Gifts to private individuals up to 50 lats value are duty-exempt if the article contains no more than three identical objects.
Special documentation requirements
Animal products require a Certificate of Veterinary Service.
Plant products require a Phytosanitary Certificate.
In addition to items prohibited by Dangerous and Prohibited Goods & Packaging Post Guide and ECI International Courier Regulations, Latvia prohibits:
- Animals, live
- Ammunition, explosives and similar items
- Firearms and firearm parts
- Narcotics, behaviour-influencing substances and devices for their use
- Organic and inorganic chemicals
- Precious metals and stones
- Products of the printing industry- offensive by nature
- Plant products – hyacinth bulbs, carnation and chrysanthemum seedlings and cuttings, seeds of leguminous plants, seeds of weeds subject to quarantine
- Raw materials of animal origin
- Securities of any kind payable to bearer
- Weapons and all components
Ordinary and registered letters:
Latvia does not accept ordinary and registered letters containing articles subject to customs duty.