Hong Kong Import Restrictions
In order to enter Hong Kong, certain goods are subject to specific controls and, regardless of their value and quantity, they require the consent of Hong Kong government, preferably, license must be obtained prior to passage through the customs, preventing the goods from being retained. On this page, you will see what kinds of items are prohibited from entering the Hong Kong, and which items need special documentation before exporting to Hong Kong.
Senders should determine import restrictions from Hong Kong authorities before posting:
- Agricultural and domestic pesticides
- Animals and animal products
- Arms and ammunition
- Beverages and alcoholic fluids
- Hydrocarbon oil
- Mineral products
- Pharmaceutical products
- Parasites and insect killers
- Plants and parts of plants
- Paint, varnish and enamels
- Precious metals
- Textiles and textile articles
Special documentation requirements
Hong Kong requires an import permit for many goods. Before posting any item, senders should confirm that the addressee has any necessary permit. Address import permit enquiries to Director, Commerce and Industry Department, Hong Kong.
In addition to items prohibited by Dangerous and Prohibited Goods & Packaging Post Guide and ECI International Courier Regulations, Hong Kong prohibits:
- Animals, live
- Advertising relating to gambling or games of chance
- Agriculture poisons
- Counterfeit currency
- Imitation markings of the Government Services
- Imitation postage stamps
- Lottery tickets and circulars
- Meat and edible meat offal
- Paper and paperboard
- Printed books, newspapers and other products of the printing industry- offensive by nature
- Trademarks, false or imitated.
Transporting food of any kind is prohibited under ECI Platinum.