Cuba Overview

Country Profile

The Republic of Cuba is located in the northwest Caribbean Sea, and covers an area of 110,860 square kilometers. The island has a population of 11.25 million, 60% of whom are white, with the remaining 40% black or mixed race. Some residents are Catholic, and the official language is Spanish. The currency is the peso. The capital is Havana (La Habana), and is considered to be the “Pearl of the Caribbean.”

Cuba National Flag

The Cuban flag comprises of a red triangle to the left, and five horizontal strips of blue and white. Inside the red triangle there is also a white five-pointed star. The red symbolizes the Cuban secret revolutionary organization, standing for freedom, equality, fraternity, and representing the blood of patriots. The five-pointed star symbolizes Cuba’s independence.

Cuba Country Flag

History Summary

Columbus discovered Cuba in 1492, and in 1511 it was colonized by Spain. 1868 and 1895 saw two separate outbreaks of war between the U.S. and Spain, eventually resulting in the U.S. occupying the island in 1898. May 20, 1902, saw the establishment of the Republic of Cuba, although in 1905, the U.S. established the U.S. Guantanamo naval base, which remains to this day. In 1933, the U.S. supported the Batista coup, which led to a dictatorship. On 1st 1959, Fidel Castro’s rebel army overthrew the Batista dictatorship, establishing a revolutionary government. In August 1990, the Cuban government declared “a special stage in times of peace.”

Economy and Culture Overview

Cuba’s coastline provides a large natural harbor, and the Gulf has hundred ports. Surrounded by the sea, the island is rich in coastal fishery resources. The industry is dominated by sugar-dominated, and Cuba is one of the world’s leading sugar exporters, earning it the reputation “the world’s sugar.” Tobacco is the traditional cash crop in Cuba, enabling the production of the country’s famous Havana cigars. The best quality tobacco production is found in Pinar del Rio province. Here, the total tobacco produced accounts for 40% of the total production, providing the main raw ingredient of Havana cigars.

A strange Cuban custom is held annually on New Year’s Eve. Everyone must prepare a bowl of water, and as the clock strikes midnight, the clear water is poured outside to greet the New Year. A carnival, held on January 6, is held to celebrate the New Year. Reportedly, in the era of slavery, a slave would be given this day off.  Cuba’s most unique folk instrument is the maracas, and the traditional style of dance is the Rumba.

Pinot Island

Pine Island is Cuba’s second largest island, and gets its name from the pine that covers it. LAC island’s has the longest beach in the world. There are many caves in the underground fresh water color Cheng Lan, Jia Zhou pan in the lake swim. Some caves on the cliff contain Indian carved text.

Cuba Map

Cuba Map

You may also like...